Here are a few simple holiday fire safety tips to keep you and your loved ones safe this holiday season.
• Keep flammable items, including curtains and holiday decorations, at least 3 feet away from lit candles. Consider using battery operated candles.
• Water your Christmas trees every day since dry needles and wood catch fire more easily.
• Unplug Christmas tree lights before leaving the house or going to sleep.
• Read manufacturer’s instructions for number of light strands to connect, and consider a power strip instead.
• Remember, some lights are intended for indoor or outdoor use, but not both.
• Use clips—not nails—to hang lights so the cords do not get damaged.
• Keep decorations away from windows and doors.
• Young children are at high risk of being burned by hot food and liquids. Keep children away from cooking areas by enforcing a “kid-free zone” of 3 feet around the stove.
• Stay in the kitchen when you are frying, grilling, or cooking food.
• Keep anything that can catch fire—oven mitts, dish towels, wooden utensils, and food pack¬aging—away from your stovetop.
• Test your smoke alarms and tell guests about your home fire escape plan.
• Keep matches and lighters up high in a locked cabinet.
The Folsom Fire Department wishes you a happy and safe holiday season. Learn more at www.folsom.ca.us/fire.